Contractor Charged With Failure to Obtain Permit:
The Office of the Building Inspector has completed its investigation into an incident in which a contractor performed work without obtaining a proper permit.
Shane Allen Rechkemmer, 41, of Oran, has been charged with Failure to Obtain a Demolition Permit, Failure to Cap Utilities and Failure to Have Utilities Inspected Prior to Backfill. Mr. Rechkemmer has been cited and issued a notice to appear in court.
The City of Oelwein reminds citizens and contractors that proper permitting is required prior to performing demolition and many construction, electrical and plumbing projects.
When is a permit needed?
• New Construction
• Remodel of existing structure
• Any structural work
• Electrical work
• Plumbing work
• All Mechanical work
• Excavation work
• Street cuts
• Doors – other than the changing of door for door without the removal of the existing frame.
• Temporary structures – these are good for 120 days per 12-month period.
• House moving/oversized loads being transported on City of Oelwein streets
• Tree planting in the Right of Way the City has an approved species list
• Peddler permits (door to door sales)
When in doubt, contact the building inspector. (319)283-4311
The Oelwein Police Department was established in 1903
Currently the Oelwein Police Department employs:
4 Reserve (Volunteer) Police Officers
The Oelwein Police Department is located at 501 Rock Island Road, Oelwein, Iowa 50662.
The Oelwein Police Department is presently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer.
Click below for an application. You must first save the file then it will open as a fillable pdf.
Equal Employment Opportunity A.A./E.E.O.